Burghausen - a historic town

The Bavarian divisions, the "much-lamented, notorious," as historian Benny Hubensteiner Burghausen called them, “do not stroll down ", but take the city upwards.

Burghausen had already become a second residence for Duke Heinrich XIII. of Lower Bavaria.


The most monumental building is the undescribable castle building work was started in the mid-13th Century by Duke Henry, and was expanded to the longest castle in Europe by Duke George the Rich at the end of the 15th century.

The "father of the Burghausen history" Johann Georg Boniface Huber writes the following about the role of the castle as a secondary residence of the Landshut Dukes: "One can rightly say for half a century, Burghausen has been , the women's room, the nursery and the fun playground for the noble youth and a quiet wídow’s home of the Lower Bavarian branches of the Wittelsbach family."


Two city fires (1353 and 1504) were significantly responsible for the appearance of the town in the shade of the castle. The town was quickly re-built. At this time, Burghausen lost its residential character as a result of the Landshut war of succession concerning the inheritance of Duke George the Rich and also because of the "reunification of Bavaria" 

There are still Gothic  highlights to be found in abundance. Famous builders and architects have made themselves immortal. The most famous of all: Master Hans from Burghausen, who had learnt his craft in the builder's hut of St. James Church. "The father of late- Bavarian Gothic " (Hacker) built important churches in old Bavaria, including the church of St. Martin in Landshut, St. Nicholas Church in Neuötting and the choir section of the Franciscan Church.

Facebook